How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue someone after going through bankruptcy chapter 7

Customer Question

Can I sue someone after going through bankruptcy chapter 7 in small claims court in the state of Georgia? This person wrote me a check and took his money out of his account every month for two or three months right before I could cash it. He repeatedly told me the bank kept messing up. He then took all of his money out of his account and closed the account.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. If the person has not listed you as a "creditor" in the bankruptcy, then you can file a lawsuit against them.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

And so whether your deal was made before or after the Bankruptcy, if you were not listed as a "Creditor" then the automatic stay that is granted during such a bankruptcy will not apply.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You can sue for up to $15,000 in GA small claims court and you can get the forms from the clerk of the court in the county where the defendant lives and file on your own without a local attorney.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went through bankrupcy in November of 2015. I have been cleared (6 week period) after bankrupcy. The guy owed me money before the bankrupcy I misplAced the check and forgot about it but have found the check now. From what I understand I have 2 years to sue him . Just a little over a year has gone by. Can I sue him even though I've recently went through a bankrupcy ?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the clarification. Yes. Of course you can. Your rights to the courts are not banned. I suggest however you may want to discuss this with the person and request a new check be written or you will bring it to small claims.