Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

What legal or civil rights does a defendant have in a

Customer Question

What legal or civil rights does a defendant have in a municipal hearing
Does she have a right to be present at her own hearing?
May hearing officer demand hearing if she
Is unable to attend but hired a lawyer only to continue it due to medical reason?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a hearing scheduled in municipal court and hearing officer insisted on holding the hearing even though I had paid a lawyer only to continue the case due to med reason. The lawyer I had paid but not retained had no knowledge of facts of this
Rental ordinance of which I was exempt because I lived in condo I had rented.I had only hired him day before. I feel my civil rights have been abrogated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im preparing an appeal in circuit court. Would I be better off in federal court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

You mean to tell me that there was a hearing against you and your attorney appeared to request a continuance and the hearing officer refused to grant the continuance stating that they did not need you to be present?

-

Can you tell me what the administrative hearing was about and why youu needed to be present (in their estimation) so I can get a better idea regarding how and to which court the matter should be appealed to ?

-MARY