How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27749
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding abuse.

Customer Question

I have a question regarding sexual abuse.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am..
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

What is the question you'd like to ask?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was sexually abused as a child by my stepfather. I am 32 now. He remained in my life even after admitting abusing my sister and I to my mother. I am now dealing with panick attacks, OCD and extreme anxiety. I can't work as normal person because of my extreme anxiety. I believe I was brain washed by my mother to accept him and what he had done. It has majorally taken a toll on me both physically and mentally and I couldn't really see things clearly until I got away from it for a long time and moved out on my own.What course of action can I take against this to get psychiatric help and compensation? I was forced to live with this man my whole life.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I don't have good news for you. Every state has a statute of limitations after which a case is considered too old to be prosecuted. If the sexual abuse occurred more than three years ago, you can no longer sue your stepfather for your injuries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mom made me hide this..
How could I sue him by 11?
I was a kid..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to live with him my whole life.
CPS got involed because I was seeking therapy and my mom told me to hide it from them or they would take me from her.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Because you were a child when you were sexually molested, there was an extension which gave you until your 26th birthday to sue. That time is now passed.

I'm not saying this is fair. I'm saying that this is the law of your state.

Because of a wrinkle in California's present criminal law, however, while you may not be able to sue your stepfather for compensation, you may be able to have him prosecuted if you report the abuse to the police and/or to the prosecutor and tell them that you want to get charges pressed against him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but if you want to ask a follow up question you have to put it into words so that I understand what you want to know.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.