How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother was placed into a care facility 's and we sold her

Customer Question

My mother was placed into a care facility for Alzheimer's and we sold her home. When we did I cancelled her phone service with AT&T. i later took control of her finances and found a monthly debit from her checking account to AT&T for $27.92 a month. I contacted AT&T who said there were no accounts in her name or under her SSN#. She is retired from PacBell/AT&T so I called the benefits dept of AT&T who said they new nothing about it. I stopped payment of the bill and a month later go a letter fromAT&T saying her home phone bill for $27.92 was not paid. An account they said she did not have and one I cancelled in Nov/Dec 2012. It was messed up on their end due to an Employee discount called "Concessions" One dept. cannot access account under concessions so it was never cancelled. They have taken 27.92 a month for 41 months for a total of $1144.72...They have refused to refund it by means of distraction and misdirection from one dpt. to another. I need help holding them accountable for their incompetence.
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, not sure if its worth it
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If your mother is not legally competent, and no one has applied to the court to act as her guardian, then there really is nothing that you can do unless you already have a durable power of attorney and in the instance, you could hire an attorney to represent her in the claim.

I would tend to agree though, you would stand to spend more in legal expenses than you could gain. You might get further with a call and formal complaint to the CA Public Utilities Commission and hopefully they can assist you in getting the money back for your mother. Here is a link to the suite where you can begin the process:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,