Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If my disability insurance repeatedly told me months, that

Customer Question

If my disability insurance repeatedly told me for 7 months, that my coverage was for 2 years and then they send me a letter saying that they made a mistake and my contract only covers me for 1 year, do I have some sort of a legal complaint?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you actually read the contract itself, since what they told you verbally cannot change what is written in your insurance contract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contract does say 1 year.

Thank you for your reply.

If your contract does say 1 year, I am afraid that verbally saying it would be different than what the contract says would not change the contract. So, if your contract does say 1 year, you are bound to that 1 year and there the insurance only has to provide that 1 year coverage. Their employee making a mistake cannot change the contract terms I am afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They actually communicated to me in writing that it was two years. Does that make a difference?

Thank you for your reply.

If they were explaining the actual insurance contract, the courts will not consider that changing the contract, it is a tough issue but they cannot change the contract terms without actual consent and intent to change the contract between the parties and that requires consideration for the company doing so.