How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are experiencing some difficulties. Right now

Customer Question

My wife and I are experiencing some difficulties. Right now the most important item is financial issues.
In short prior to any legal review, my wife has stated she is going to isolate me from access to any of or funds and or credit card. Please note these are all joint accounts and revenue contributions are being made from my retirement accounts. I have hoped that this would blow over but now believe it is time to get legal representation.
So before we proceed to court mu question is 1) Can she do this 2) What steps can I take to stop her?
Rene P. Visscher ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

I will answer your questions in the order in which they appear.

Can she do this? In short, no if the accounts are joint accounts, then you have as much of a right to the funds therein as she does. Since you are married, even if she is the person paying towards the credit cards and/or filling the accounts with funds, you have equal rights to those accounts. So, she can request it but you do not legally have to oblige this request.

What steps are there to stop this? Unfortunately, this is a much more difficult question. Understand that she cannot stop you from using the accounts. However, if it is a large issue (which is the case it appears), the only way to prevent extraordinary attempts on her part would be to file for divorce and have the court issue an order relative to access to the accounts while the divorce is pending. I trust that is not something you want to do, however, legally speaking, that is the only way to handle the situation.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings interface on your end so I can receive credit from the site for my response.

Thank you and best wishes!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any additional questions? Thanks

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions? I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Rene, just checking one last time. In my experience, once you sleep on a legal answer, it normally produces more questions. Just want to be present to answer any new questions for you.