How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was held past my release date in 2011. I have all my

Customer Question

I was held past my release date in 2011. I have all my documents proving this. What are my options to be compensated?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

While it is possible to file a suit against the state for false imprisonment (for the overextension of your term), the statute of limitations is very short for such a claim against the state, and in almost all cases, you are going to be subject to the Texas Tort Claims Act (a statute requiring you to make a written demand on the state prior to filing a lawsuit, this demand letter must be made within 6 months of the date of the injury (so your release in 2011 is going to be too far back)).

However, the information I can provide here is limited to "general legal information" only, and is not a substitute for formal legal advice or counsel. You can speak to a local attorney and get a consultation regarding the specifics of your claim and see if they can identify an alternative cause of action or claim (or see if there is another mechanism to get around the statute of limitations issue based on the specific facts of your case).

Most personal injury attorneys will provide you with a free consultation.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).