Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have an auto loan that went to collection in January 2011.

Customer Question
My understanding is in the...
I have an auto loan that went to collection in January 2011. My understanding is in the state of Kansas the statue of Limitations has expired since there has been no activity since that date. I was told the statue is 5 years. Id this correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/25/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You are correct, the statute of limitations on a written contract is 5 years from the date of the last payment. However, you need to be aware that some judges have been ruling that it is 5 years from the date the vehicle was resold, usually at auction.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney