How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33033
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 78 years old reside in Florida, Hallandale beach Area.

Customer Question

good morning. i am 78 years old reside in Florida, Hallandale beach Area. I prepared my own will (Legal Form) but feel I need an attorney as I want to change it. My son recently married someone who I feel is merely counting the days when I will simply drop. I have a condo, ;probably valued at no more than $150,000 maybe a little more, I don't know. It is in my bname and my son is the one who will inherit it. I have grandchildren but only one am I interested in. I would like to change mywill to show my son and granddaughter, who resides in Virginia Beach to be the sole heirs. I am considering leaving a larger share of the condo ownership to her. I do not want my son's wife to get any part of my son's inheritance and thought perhaps I need to have both myson and granddaughter share and share or to the survivor...nothing for his wife.
I also have a few thousand dollars in the bank which I now have my son as the beneficiary. not much, under 15,000. I have few possessions as throughout the years I have given everyting away. collect social sec. and a very small pension , less than 600 a month. I have a car that is registered in my name but my son pays for it.
I also have a $100,000 life insurance policy that expires, (term ins) at age 80. I had planned on cancelling this, but instead myson is paying the premium until policy no longer in force or I "kick the bucket". He is the beneficiary and I had named his wife as contingent but am removing her and putting my granddaughters name. In addition I have a few small life policies which total $21,000 and my son the primary benefiicary and granddaugther contingent. I hate the thought his wife will share in any of this, but what the heck, will leave it at that. I do need an attorney that can advise me and prepare a simple Will for me. Do you recommend anyone or give me a few names of attorneys I can contact. I need help and at my age, I need it quickly. thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

There is not much you can do about your son sharing the benefits of his inheritance with his wife. You can leave relatives out of your will, but once the ones left in receive the money there is not much you can do to stop them from using the money as they want and sharing it with whom they want. It may be a little easier with a trust, but that is something to work out with the estate planner and it still provides no guarantees.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Also, The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program:

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i thank you for the response you gave me, but you did not tell me anything i did not know. that is why i wanted advice other than what i already knew. i know, anything left in inheritance can be shared by thereceiver any way they wish, i know that - i just want to protect my granddaughter's interest in the properyt so that my son could not sell it on his own, bla bla bla. not satisfied. sorry if you could not help me with a referral that is all i needed to know. i gave details so that i could be directed to an attorney i could visit. if you were not able to do so, then i should have been informed accordingly. no, not satisfied and i do not feel is should pay so much money for advise i did not ask for. i needed a referral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not paying $59. and do not want this charged to my card.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you want the property protected for your granddaughter then you will need a trust, though, not a new will. That will keep your son from selling the property because the trust is the actual owner. Additionally, with a trust, as opposed to a will, you have much more control over directing the income of the trust and protecting the corpus, because you can separate and specify the distribution of corpus and income.