How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Concerning past due alimony, can my ex spouses lawyer order

Customer Question

Concerning past due alimony, can my ex spouses lawyer order me to the court house through standard u s postal service, just like junk mail? I've been divorced since 1999 and am 2 1/2 years behind because I am 100% disabled.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Yes, this is what is called a "debtor's exam" and the judgment creditor can issue notice by using USPS. There is no requirement for this to be personally served (like the summons and complaint for an initial lawsuit).

If you cannot appear on that day, contact the law firm early and ask to reschedule.

You can also try contacting the law firm and see if they are willing to accept documentation from you showing your income, assets, and debts in lieu of a court appearance. Some creditors are willing to forego the debtor's exam if the debtor provides them the information ahead of time (it saves the judgment creditor the time and money of going to court). Be aware, the judgment creditor has no obligation to accept such an offer, but you can try.