How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27460
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Husband is in Bridgeport Correctional Center, since

Customer Question

My Husband is in Bridgeport Correctional Center, since 2/13/16 for a domestic issue. He is an alcoholic and needs treatment for that as well as the depression he suffers from. He has been trying to get into a program but the Public Defender eithers keeps continuing or does not show up to court. So he is still there. He has heart issues and a seizure problem also
He suffered a seizure and was brought to hospital and put in ICU. Breakfast was served and the guard was eating and my husband said is that not mine, head nurse came in and said yes
The problem occurred when leaving hospital the same guard threw him in the back of the van, since he was having trouble getting in shackled, then wrapped a belt around his neck and pulled him into van, then was choking him and sitting on the top of his chest until back to jail. He was then put into isolation, which he has never been before. When released from there they now have put him into a block where people are doing hard time.
He wanted to tell the therapist that he sees there, but he felt that she was different to him after this incident. two questions. Who do we tell so he can be safe until he gets out, and he wants a lawsuit against not sure who.
ANy help would be appreciated
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

You need to talk to your husband's lawyer. What you're describing would be a violation of his civil rights. Public defenders work for a public defender's office. That means his lawyer has a supervisor, and if he's not showing up for your husband's case and seeing that his rights are protected, you've got someone in that office to complain to.

Call the PD's office and ask for his lawyer's supervisor. He can be brought before the judge if necessary and medical care can be ordered for him. He can also be placed in protective custody if he wants that and is worried about safety issues.

You are unlikely to get anywhere yourself by calling the jail and complaining to the authorities. But a lawyer can be of real assistance in a situation like this.

As far as a suit is concerned, you would need to sit down with a civil trial litigator or a civil rights lawyer to see how viable your case is here, but the public defender may be able to give you some advice and perhaps direct you to an experienced local lawyer who does that kind of work.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.