How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33752
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a collector car from a dealer under the

Customer Question

Hello, I purchased a collector car from a dealer under the assumption it was a one of 88 built, which I later come to find out it was not. The dealer misrepresented this vehicle and the worst part of this story is this car if it was what it was supposed to be, is valued at around $100,000 now, I paid $25,000 for it back in April. should the dealer be held responsible for this misconduct and obvious lie, and they fact they did not do their due diligence on this vehicle prior to selling it? What can I do at this point?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, the dealer should be responsible.

You will have a variety of damages possible and you want a lawyer to help you with this, you can recover your attorney's fees, because on the possible damages is to get the money for the car that you thought you were buying which is a substantial chunk of money. It will be hard to "prove up" the damages and so a lawyer will need to help with that. You can also potentially recover other damages including, possibly, treble damages due to the misconduct and false advertising.

Your lawsuit will be based on breach of contract, false advertising, and deceptive trade practices.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

And please not, I'm not just telling you to "hire a lawyer" and I'm willing to discuss any of these points that aren't clear.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You can find a lawyer by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.