How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33399
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a verbal agreement was made between 2 parents not to

Customer Question

If a verbal agreement was made between 2 parents not to introduce other individuals they are dating for 6 months to 1 year, after it becomes a more serious relationship, and 1 parent broke that agreement, is there anything that can be done in court about that? I was able to get the other parent to agree in an email, and it was still broken.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Do you mean not to introduce other people they are dating to their children?

Also, this was totally an oral agreement and not in a court order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct with the introduce to children.
Completely verbal, not in court order.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, oral agreements are not enforceable in court in the same manner that they would be enforceable if it were in the order. You could still sue for a breach of contract but likely the family court won't hear that type of allegation and, in addition, there aren't any damages due to this so it won't be worth pursuing in another court.

What you could do is file a Motion to Modify and ask the court to make the oral agreement a part of the order and at that point it would be enforceable by the court through a Motion for Contempt.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.