How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38198
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a neighbor that had work done on their house and

Customer Question

I have a neighbor that had work done on their house and didn't pay the subcontractor nor the contractor and now they have a Lien put on their house. How long does this type of lien last and can they continue to do work on house with a different contractor?? My neighbor is also suing the contractor. My neighbors are not paying their bills and blaming the contractor...will the house go up for sale to pay lien and how do we find that out so we can buy it? We live in Kansas and they owe around 25,000
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Kansas
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  retireddebra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. I started to answer but now see you are in the US. I will ask the site to move this question to the US law list.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Different expert here.. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.


If a sub or the general contractor has filed a mechanic's lien on the house, they then have one year from the date of filing the lien statement to file suit in the county in which the property is located to foreclose on the lien. If they don't do so within that time, then the lien expires and is unenforceable.


As for continuing work with a different contractor, there is nothing that would prevent that, but if the next contractor gets wind that a previous one has a lien, they will likely demand payment in advance so they don't get stuck the same way.