How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Was I treated unfairly by judge and if so, is there any

Customer Question

Was I treated unfairly by judge and if so, is there any recourse? Do I have a fraud case?
My ex-spouse was found in contempt in 2011 for not changing his debt back to his name in a divorce in 2008. His actions caused a chapter 13 bankruptcy for me and the loss of a property I had before the marriage as well as the one during the marriage. He did something similar to his previous wife. He destroyed my life financially. Is there a possible fraud case in this?
Recently I returned to court because my ex-spouse is leaving the woman he left me for and owes her child support. He still owed me over 60,000 for the debt and bankruptcy. The most recent judge toId me to visit the prose room and file a judgement. I did and when we returned to court he made me ask questions of the defendant, even though I had none, and in the end said I had no case and he was cancelling the contempt court rulings since the bankruptcy was closed and any money collected would go to them. He wouldn't award me money for my name change, court fees or anything. I just did a song and dance for him and he took everything away that I had been awarded. Is it possible to overturn the contempt ruling? Was I treated fairly?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unfortunately I can't tell you whether you were treated fairly or not since I wasn't at the hearing and didn't hear what actually went on. I can tell you that many people believe they were treated unfairly when the judge is just following what the law says he must do.

It is possible to appeal the ruling, however you will definitely need lawyer to help you with that. In addition, if this just happened the lawyer may be able to get this back in front of hte judge and "prove up" your case.

You may also be able to file a completely separate fraud case against your ex. Unfortunately, the only way anyone can tell you if it is a viable case is by going through all of the paperwork, the transcripts of the court hearings, etc.

You would want a lawyer that does Civil Litigation and, if possible, one who does Family Law as well. you should beable to find one that handles those two type of law by going to and entering those two specialties in the Are of Practice section and then looking for lawyers whose names are ***** ***** lists.

In addition to knowing whether you can file a case you also want to talk to the lawyer and ask him if you can collect on any judgment you get.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Related Legal Questions