How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1503
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Legal Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

IN Acquiring a Estate-Probate law Attorney in Nevada, how do

Customer Question

IN Acquiring a Estate-Probate law Attorney in Nevada, how do I go about finding one who is willing to work for a percentage of the estate to be paid in the end, as I have no money?
And what are my chances of this happening?thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

I didn't realize this question was for me. The same no attorney-client relationship applies here. Thanks!

This is a tough question to answer without actually calling the attorneys, but of the ones I send on Avvo dot com, some of them will mention their payment plan, whether they have free consultation, and hourly fees.

The problem with this is that you're asking for someone who will work on a contingency fee basis. This isn't usually done with wills and estates. It's usually done in personal injury cases, as told here:

Contingency fee agreements provide clients with access to legal services they otherwise might not be able to afford. From the client’s perspective, a contingency fee arrangement is preferable in cases involving greater risk, and should be avoided, if possible, in more clear-cut cases.

Contingency fee agreements are typically used in:

That being said, I found this:

Contingency fee: This type of fee is rare in the world of trusts and estates. However, in certain circumstances an attorney may accept an estate on a contingency fee basis. If a trust or estate is in a lawsuit and may receive a substantial cash award, a lawyer may agree to represent it — and you, as fiduciary — in exchange for the chance to receive a portion of the award.

I would suspect they would not take that here because of the type of lawsuit it entails -- it's not just a will, it's a will contest and one that's beyond the 3 months. I think you have a chance, but I don't know how many people have done this type of case before. If you find someone willing to do this case for you, you're best bet is to ask them for a fee arrangement. I could find Legal Aid for you but I highly doubt they'd do this type of case.

I wish I had better news but I think that you should start in Reno, call some of the attorneys there based on the criteria I posted on the other question, and if you like them AND they'll take the case, see if they will work out a fee arrangement with you.

Let me know if you need anything else. I'll keep looking if you want but I know from what I've seen that this is not a likely scenario for this type of case.

I'm just the messenger, I'm sorry. There are plenty of attorneys in Reno and that's where I'd start.

I'd ask you to rate me again if you don't mind. I wish I had better news -- I can't control what happens in fee situations, but I'm letting you know you're going to probably have trouble with a contingency fee arrangement. That being said, there may be attorneys who would be thrilled to take this case because of the legal challenges it poses, so you never know -- you don't get unless you ask! Thanks!

Let me know if I can do more, but I won't find different answers, I'm sorry to say. You'd have to see who looks good from that list, and then call, see if they'll take the case, and then ask about a fee arrangement.

Best to you!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I took the day off.
I do have something to add to this topic just need another hour or so, to get back to you.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

take your time!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking to see if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Do you want to follow-up with this, as you indicated above?