Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

Do I have a recourse suit against spouse who abandoned me

Customer Question

Do I have a recourse for civil suit against spouse who abandoned me and took a vehicle that is leased solely in my name?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely. There are several ways to handle the matter, but the most logical, if you feel the marriage cannot be salvaged is to file for divorce and have the court issue an immediate order for return of the vehicle. Abandonment is certainly a grounds for divorce as well.

If you are not desiring to divorce, then you can file a suit for civil conversion of property against your spouse (which is a little unusual) and have the vehicle ordered to be returned as well as being awarded damages as a result of the inconvenience.

Certainly, the most common place filing here is a divorce filing and have that court order that the vehicle be returned and other property divided accordingly as well. The court will likely order spousal support (alimony) in the process.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings bar on your end as well.

Thank you and best wishes!

Did you have any other questions or comments? Thanks

Just checking with you to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks