Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I found a subpoena as a witness hanging on my home door

Customer Question
yesterday evening that is ordering...
I found a subpoena as a witness hanging on my home door yesterday evening that is ordering me to appear this coming Monday for questioning at the public library, the name on the subpoena is incorrect; first and last name are correct, middle name isn't, do I have to appear for questioning?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2016
Lawyer: KJL LAW, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Good morning. What state are you located? Is the subpeona from state court or Federal?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Virginia, I'd have to verify this evening when I get home, 99% confident it is state court.
A subpoena served with only five (5) days notice is unenforceable. But if it was served yesterday service would be valid. If the subpoena is issued by the court, then you must show up on that date and answer questions and bring any. Documents requested. Most people choose to bring an attorney. It is best to answer truthfully. Before you appear you should speak with an attorney who could guide you on what to say or not to say with regards ***** ***** underlying case. Also, if you think it is not your subpoena because of the middle name error you should consult an attorney who can answer the law firm in your behalf.

If you have any other questions, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you don't rate the question, I will not get credit for my work.

KJL LAW
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer