Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I loaned a an ex-boyfriend $30,000 via my credit cards

Customer Question
for dental implants, which he...
I loaned a an ex-boyfriend $30,000 via my credit cards for dental implants, which he had done in Chile because it is so cost effective. He will now not pay his debt to me. I have an invoice from the dentist detailing the work performed, a couple of emails where he committed to dropping by some money, and a detailed statement from me showing all the charges, including interest.
I think I need an attorney to help, but I don't know where to start.
Thanks
Melissa
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Yes, you can sue for "breach of contract", and given the dollar amount you are going to need to sue in general civil court (as opposed to small claims court where lesser amounts can be handled quickly and easily without an attorney), so hiring a lawyer may make sense.

If you decide you do not want to retain a lawyer you can sue him on your own by going to the local law library and using their resources (you will need to plan on spending some time working on this, but you can probably handle it yourself).

However, if you are willing to pay the money for an attorney to handle this for you, it will probably be faster and more efficient (and you will not have to deal with the matter).

You can find local civil litigation or general practice attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney