How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I loaned a an ex-boyfriend $30,000 via my credit cards

Customer Question

I loaned a an ex-boyfriend $30,000 via my credit cards for dental implants, which he had done in Chile because it is so cost effective. He will now not pay his debt to me. I have an invoice from the dentist detailing the work performed, a couple of emails where he committed to dropping by some money, and a detailed statement from me showing all the charges, including interest.
I think I need an attorney to help, but I don't know where to start.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Yes, you can sue for "breach of contract", and given the dollar amount you are going to need to sue in general civil court (as opposed to small claims court where lesser amounts can be handled quickly and easily without an attorney), so hiring a lawyer may make sense.

If you decide you do not want to retain a lawyer you can sue him on your own by going to the local law library and using their resources (you will need to plan on spending some time working on this, but you can probably handle it yourself).

However, if you are willing to pay the money for an attorney to handle this for you, it will probably be faster and more efficient (and you will not have to deal with the matter).

You can find local civil litigation or general practice attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).