How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Vacate in 20 days then they will start eviction LM 65

Customer Question

Vacate in 20 days then they will start eviction LM 65 disabled. Can t lift over 5 lbs need back surgery can't stand over 15 min and l get frequent migraine s
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn about this situation.

You do not post whether or not the landlord has already gone to court and received a judgment of possession or not.

  • If the landlord has NOT yet gone to court, you can buy some additional time in the unit by simply refusing to leave, force the landlord to go to court, make sure that you file an answer to the unlawful detainer (do not miss the deadline - you usually only have 5 days), and appear in court for the hearing. You will likely lose the UD action, but you will buy yourself some additional time before the actual forcible eviction occurs, so you can use this additional time to keep moving your property out of the unit. (The downside to this strategy is you will have an unlawful detainer against your rental record which can make it harder to get another rental unit).
  • If the landlord HAS already gotten a judgment of eviction and the sheriff is coming to remove you in 20 days, then you have less options. You can appear in court and ask the judge for a brief extension. But the courts limit this relief severely - so the best you can hope for is going to be an additional week or two (if the judge grants any relief at all).

I would highly recommend that you contact your local (usually county) housing authority and ask for assistance. They may be able to assist you with placement in a new unit (let them know you are facing imminent eviction). If you are indigent, you may qualify for cash assistance which can assist you in hiring movers to help you remove your property from the unit.

Related Legal Questions