How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son who has cerebal palsey and has not been

Customer Question

I have a son who has cerebal palsey and has not been assessed by the court albeit this is his third time for the same offence ....failure to abide by a no contact order in a DV case.
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help.
Customer: His court appointed attorney refuses to communicate with me and lies to me constantly.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Affordability is an issue.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes but he will not listen. This county has no oversight, for the courts and the Sheriffs dept since 1980 so all lawyers are beholding as are the sheriffs to the judge. I have had my own taste of bench arrogance so I am looking for a way to be able to support my sons case as he does not have the ability to assess the the long rang impact of his actions.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your son is not mentally competent, then you need to seek to file a petition for guardianship in the civil court and seek to get guardianship over him. Once you do so, the court will have to communicate with you directly as would his attorney. So the first step here is getting guardianship over hm from the civil court. Then you can get his attorney to order a mental competency hearing in the DV case to get the court to find him not guilty by reason of mental incompetency.