Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a contractor { Exterior Restoration} in NYC. I have

Customer Question
I am a contractor {...
I am a contractor { Exterior Restoration} in NYC. I have some employees that have a Tax ID # { TIN Card} and not a social security card. My Question: Should there be a claim whereby a pedestrian or the employee with the TIN card gets injured, would I be covered under a typical General Liability policy.. or would the carrier be able to negate coverage due to the status of this worker.. { TIN card }.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/21/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Essentially what your question is - would a labor insurance policy cover undocumented alien sub-contractors or workers? Most insurance policies would, if they believe that the insured (i.e. your business) would be liable. However, it is up to the policy contract, so this has to be specifically negotiated in when applying for the policy. They may not do this by default.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law