Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My stepson was arrested on Sunday. He was caught supposedly with a mushroom in his pocket while entering the last...

Customer Question
My stepson was arrested on...
My stepson was arrested on Sunday. He was caught supposedly with a mushroom in his pocket while entering the last night of EDC concert in Las Vegas which he attend in past years without incident. My wife posted bail for him this morning. He's still in lock up. He is a resident of Arizona. We are still waiting to hear on his release. He says he had one mushroom in his pocket. He was carrying it for a friend. His friends pockets were full of whatever??? Anyways his friend made it through the entry & didn't get caught. I have went online & have read the Nevada Drug Laws are as tough as the Federal Laws. Should I be concerned. This is his first office. They have told us is court case will be on September 6th. Should I be concerned? Can we (my wife & I) plea this down with the judge? Our son is 29 years old. This would be his first offence. Help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2016
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

What is it you wish to know about this incident?

I was hoping to hear from you before I replied. I will post an answer but if it does not touch upon what you most want to know, you can post a follow up here on this question thread and provide additional information for me. I'll be happy to add to my answer for you.

Chances are, the only reason bail was set on your son is that he's not local. They want to ensure that he'll come back to fight the case. However, it is highly unlikely that on a first arrest your son would have to worry about a jail sentence. And it's possible to bargain the charges down or perhaps for him to get a deferred adjudication -- a special form of probation where he works off his plea so that his conviction is removed from his record.

It is not, however, possible for you and your husband to do that for your son. Only a lawyer or the defendant himself can advocate on behalf of a defendant. You will not be allowed any role in the proceedings and cannot address the court. The best thing you can do for your son is to make sure that when he returns to court in September, he has a criminal lawyer with him to protect his rights and negotiate the most favorable disposition possible or, in the alternative, to fight the case all the way to trial if your son would rather not take a plea.

He would be eligible for a public defender if he cannot afford a lawyer, but he would have to ask the judge for one.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney