Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
12176198

I was stopped on a traffic violation today. I am a nurse, I

Customer Question

I was stopped on a traffic violation today. I am a nurse, I was in my uniform on my way home from work, and the police officer asked to see my cell phone and my medications is that legal?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Sorry to hear about your situation. A police officer can ask anything, but at that point it doesn't sound like he had a reasonable suspicion to look himself without permission. Typically, to do a search in relation to a vehicle stop, the police have to have a reasonable and articulable suspicion that there is contraband in the vehicle. The mere fact that you are a nurse doesn't give rise to such a suspicion. But officers can always ask for consent, and if it is given, they can look. Which is probably why the officer asked you as opposed to searching against your will.