Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am having issues with my auto insurance. I had my second

Customer Question
Hello my name is***** am...
Hello my name is***** am having issues with my auto insurance. I had my second car stolen from me and they are not trying to help me out instead they are making me seem like the only suspect which is ridicolous. I live in Oakland, CA so the theft rate is pretty high. I just need to know what steps to take and what are my rights, what can I do to expidite this claim and have the insurance pay my vehicle.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi Arnold. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you Richard much appreciated.

What you want to do is raise the stakes on them. If they didn't want to risk a claim, they should not have agreed to insure you. But, they did. So, they are going to have to pay the claim. This is so typical of insurance companies, particularly those you talk to by phone who think you will simply go away. The insurance company doesn't simply get the unilateral right to determine that an insured is not covered because they are not exactly an unbiased party. Write the insurance company a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining the situation in detail and demand that they agree to coverage within a short specified period of time or you will have no choice but to file a claim against them. BUT, be sure to mention you intend to file this claim as not only a breach of contract claim, but also as a failure to reasonably settle, which will entitle you not only to actual damages, but an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. This is typically all you need do, because insurance companies want to avoid punitive damages and the bad publicity that comes with failing to settle. Plus, they have the added incentive to avoid going to court because they are aware that jurors are biased against insurance companies because most everyone has had an experience similar to yours.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney