How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102505
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Greater Baltimore Medical Bill was not paid-collection

Customer Question

Greater Baltimore Medical Bill was not paid-collection agency sued us. need help to defend. We are retired and working part time. We do not have big money to pay for the defence lawyer. Robin and Janet Gnanakkan, Baltimore, MD
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We are in Maryland. This is not employment law. Our medical bills were not paid as it s/b taken care as Obama Plan once we met our deductibles.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. Do I need to pay in advance to talk to a lawyer. Please tell how much it would be?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know? It's only $5.
Customer: Okay. I will pay now through my credit card.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly can I answer for you in regards ***** ***** matter, i.e. what is your question?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir/madam: We are retire and doing part time job for a small money and we are receiving our SS benefits and we are over 66 years old. My wife under go eye surgery after her cataract surgery failed in the first time. We met our deductions for that year in previous medical visits. Hospital sent a big bill as copya for 2128.76 towards 25% medical surgical supplies and 25 % Hospital operating room charges. This was the physicians fault that they were repeatedly doing surgery on the same eye and basically that eye became blind.
Even the Court did not sent summon to us to give an oppurtunity to explain our side. We did have any pleader either. Before that court sent a judgement notice now.
I have attached these papers in this e-mail.Thank you.
Robin and Janet Gnanakkan
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your reply. I understand the situation. However, I am not sure what you are asking. What do you with to know about this matter? This is a question and answer service, and I am unsure as to what specifically I can answer. For example: "Can they pursue my IRA?" OR "Would this be a criminal matter if I cannot pay?" Etc.

Please clarify. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to appeal to reverse the judgement. Can you help me?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
What I can do is provide a sample Motion to Vacate Judgment, which you have until July 13, 2016 to file, it seems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir: Please provide a sample motion of Vacate Judgement.
My "procedural defenses," is that I was not served with a summons and complaint from the court.
I am asking myself why the judge didn't know about this improper deviation-that the judge totally ignored the defence.Thank you. Robin Gnanakkan
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Sure. I am providing a sample template HERE.

The motion has to be filed with the court, served unto the other party, and set for a hearing. The other party has to be notified of the hearing date. NOTE that some courts may prefer to consider such a motion in camera (i.e. without a hearing) - check with the clerk upon filing.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't use your service. Could you please reverse and credit back my credit card account the $5.00 and $35.00 ?
Or do you have more time to help my case?Robin Gnanakkan
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I can answer any more questions you have, if you'd like. Did you want to continue, or did you wish to cancel the question?