How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a small claim against us in Vero Beach Case

Customer Question

We have a small claim against us in Vero Beach Case No.312016sc00865. It is to be reveiwed July 14th Our problem is we will be away month of July. Is there a way to pay it now. If not we have to get a attorney to be there. We live in Sebastian Bevard County The claim is plaintiff wants us to pay for car rental. there was a small fender bender and we paid for repairs. Now after reading his letter it looks like we both were at fault as we were both backing out of parking spot at same time. We thought he was driving by and so paid his damages. Thanks ***** Rich Schellberg
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

There are a couple of options:

1. request a court continuance if one wishes to challenge the underlying claims

2. If one does not wish to challenge the underlying claims, they can contact the other side and tell them they will pay the amount owing. Some people will negotiate on the amount, others will pay it off in full depending on the circumstances of the case. It is important to get any settlement in writing and to have proof of payment (ie canceled check). Also by settling, this helps the entry of a judgment, and a judgment can be very damaging to one's credit report, even after it is paid.

Per small claims court rules:

8. SETTLEMENT — If all parties agree on settlement of all claims before trial, each party must notify the judge by telephone so that the allotted trial time may be reassigned to someone else. Immediately thereafter, the parties must, in writing, notify the clerk of the settlement, and the court will thereafter dismiss the case. The mailing address is: Clerk of the County Court, Civil Division,

As part of a settlement, often times parties will have each party execute a Release as to other damages, so that this settlement would resolve all issues so no further court actions could be brought at a later date.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Here are the small claim court rules;$FILE/Small%20Claims.pdf

kindly rate positively if no further questions!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see on the above.

Thanks for using JA!