Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am ct licensed and received a dui 1192.4 in Ny. How will

Customer Question

I am ct licensed and received a dui 1192.4 in Ny. How long will my suspension be in ct? 45 days plus interlock?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

New York cannot suspend a Connecticut license, but it can suspend your driving privileges. From there, because NYS and CT are members of the Interstate Driver's Compact, Connecticut will be notified of your suspension. Connecticut will suspend your license and once your NYS suspension is over with, it can treat the crime as its own, assess you and impose various requirements before you can get your license reinstated. That would include potentially an interlock and an additional suspension period on top of what New York asked for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will not be able to drive in Ny for 6 months but will be able to drive in Ct? Confused.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long is the ct suspension
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
according to the dmv site the suspension in ct is 45 days plus one year of interlock device....
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Correct, but that would be on top of whatever NYS requires to complete your sentence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are you saying correct to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can drive in ct during my ny suspension until they are notified and I serve the 45 days?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

I've already explained. You must serve out your NYS sentence before you try to reinstate your license. When you do that, CT, which is part of the Interstate Driver's Compact, can impose additional requirements upon you. That would be the 45 days and the interlock.

If NYS took away your driver's privileges as a result of your conviction, you are not able to legally drive anywhere until you serve out their suspension period. Then you have to deal with Connecticut's.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Connecticut and every other US state will honor the suspension of your NYS driving privileges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ny can take away my driving privilage in EVERY state?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Essentially, yes. Because every other state will honor that NYS suspension. It's in the national driver's database that your privileges have been suspended, and word of that goes out to Connecticut and the other compact states also because the NYS Interstate Compact administrator alerts all the compact states (44 of them) that your privileges have been suspended.

So even if CT hasn't yet suspended your license, if you're stopped for any reason, the suspension will turn up and you'll be charged with driving on a suspended license.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Compact states handle serious driving convictions/suspensions under a one license/one driver theory of accountability. They intercooperate.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.