How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had someone do my federal and state taxes they been doing

Customer Question

I had someone do my federal and state taxes they been doing them for the last 4 or 5 years. l received my refunds on both taxes. I have failed to receive my w2's or a copy of my tax return from the individual. I have requested my copies on many occasions but have not gotten a response. I have facebook communication from the individual that she received my tax forms and filed my taxes. I think the individual destroyed my tax forms and got upset because I got her mom involved. she said she sent the tax form to me about two months ago but I have not received them as of today. is it anyway I can press charges against the individual for destroying personal property and federal and state documents.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot press criminal charges, you can sue them in civil court for the damages and costs caused by you by not properly filing your taxes or for destroying your documents and not returning them to you. If she is a licensed Certified Public Accountant you can file a complaint to the state CPA board against her as well. The DA will not generally take any criminal charges here because you sent the documents to her voluntarily and they will state that makes it a civil matter so you have to sue her in civil court.