Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a text thread from an ex boyfriend and it looks to me

Customer Question
like he was blackmailing another...
I have a text thread from an ex boyfriend and it looks to me like he was blackmailing another one for videos he took..can I send the text thread and u tell me if it is blackmail..he claims it was business and he was adding value to the videos..
I find it disgusting
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/17/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You can post it and II'll let you know what I think.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
See attachment, I want to know if that's considered blackmail.

No, in Georgia blackmail is called theft by extortion and there isn't enough in that text alone to be a crime.

The statute says:

(a) A person commits the offense of theft by extortion when he unlawfully obtains property of or from another person by threatening to:

(1) Inflict bodily injury on anyone or commit any other criminal offense;

(2) Accuse anyone of a criminal offense;

(3) Disseminate any information tending to subject any person to hatred, contempt, or ridicule or to impair his credit or business repute;

(4) Take or withhold action as a public official or cause an official to take or withhold action;

(5) Bring about or continue a strike, boycott, or other collective unofficial action if the property is not demanded or received for the benefit of the group in whose interest the actor purports to act; or

(6) Testify or provide information or withhold testimony or information with respect to another's legal claim or defense.

(b) In a prosecution under this Code section, the crime shall be considered as having been committed in the county in which the threat was made or received or in the county in which the property was unlawfully obtained.

That text doesn't indicate that any of this was violated. It is possible that the text along with something else could amount to a crime, but not just the text.

First it isn't a threat, second, it could be anything they are talking about selling as opposed to threatening to release or post videotapes that would be embarrassing.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh there are more texts..and they mention the videos.
He says he wants money or sex or the videos or he has someone interested in buying them instead. He gives her a choice , he give her sec or money for the tapes. 200.00 each video.

That sounds more like the extortion referenced in the statute. However, it depends on the exact language. The text you sent doesn't have enough in it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is what she sent me..u can tell which ones are hers and then his responses

I still don't think that text alone gets to the level of a crime. There are too many unanswered questions with it. If there was a witness explaining what it meant then it would be good evidence but not it just by itself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks.

You're very welcome.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney