How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19630
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pleaded no contest at my lawyer's request. He felt I

Customer Question

I pleaded no contest at my lawyer's request. He felt I should because I was the executive director of the program and I signed the Medicaid papers. I was charged with 10 counts and it was then reduced to 1 (Medicaid fraud). I have never been in trouble and the program had never had any issues before this happened. We had been with Medicaid for 8 years. They would not hear of trying to rectify the problem when they realized that no money was stolen, just paper work was missing. Going to jail was never mentioned. However, because I am a counselor and social worker with a PhD in Human Services for two years my record is messed up. I am having a hard time finding a job. I have been told that I can complete pre-trial diversion. I am working on it. Presently, I have been given an opportunity to speak at a convention, but they found out about my record and is questioning whether I should speak. How do I explain to them that I only signed the paperwork. There was no money taken and I did not even do the billing nor see the clients. No money was found in my accounts. I have to admit that I am at fault for not being a good administrator. During this time my mom became deathly ill and died and I had to finish a PhD. I was neglectful, but I am not a theft.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It was Alabama - but I am to speak in Maryland.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I have not talked to a lawyer about matter
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes, but it is separate and apart from this ordeal at this moment. Later, I need to talk to him/her about another situation. I started a second company which provided counseling services, like the nonprofit that the State suspended. However, the company is a LLC instead of a nonprofit. The Attorney General's office told them that I could not receive any money from the company because it was Medicaid related. I am a partner in the company that I started. My partners have all but taken my name off the bank account and has taken all access from me in this company. I need a lawyer to help me determine if they have to buy me out of the organization or pull the books to see if they are receiving any other money than Medicaid. One of my partners called Medicaid on me with the nonprofit although she was the one doing the billing. And if anything was done wrong she did it. She was the only consultant doing the billing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My deepest sympathies for the loss of your mother.

On your speaking engagement, you just have to explain to the organization the circumstances surrounding the papers that you signed just like you did on your post here.

As for your partnership, you really do need your partners to buy out to cut off any link you have with the partnership to prevent the LLC from running into issues with Medicaid. There is no way around this. You need to sever all ties with the business.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.