How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27726
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Couple of days ago, I got a phone number of someone on a

Customer Question

Couple of days ago, I got a phone number of someone on a online dating site. When I started talking to that person, She at one point told me that she was 17, I went ahead that told her that she was too young that we could not do anything but I was ok being her friend. And that if she wanted to go a watch a movie
She started sending pictures, not naked but in posing positions to put that way. I ignore the pictures and did not make a comment about them. She asked for pictures of me sowing my tattos, and I told her that she was under age and I did not want any trouble, and I told her that she should stop sending pictures too. I did send her a pic of myself but it was the picture I have on my online profile. No nudity of any kind, regular pic.
She agreed to go the movies, later on, she told she was ready to meet and that we would meet at a hotel. I told her, that I did not have intentions of going to a hotel with her, that I never had anything with a minor and never will, that I was on going to the movies and watching the movie.
We agree on meeting up, she took to long to call me and tell me that she was on her way, so I didn't go and we never end up meeting.
I got a call today from the sheriffs office that a complain was put in, involving a minor, that there were no charges file . And to call the family to see if things can be fixed in a different way.
I called, and the person who I talked to, stated that the girl wreck the car trying to meet me. That I don't pay the fixing of the car, they will turn me in
I called back the number from the sheriffs, and verified that in fact is shrefis office.
Thing is, I didn't do anything bad, nor I met her or have any contact with her. I deleted the pics she sent almost immediately when she sent them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

When you say you called the sheriff's office to verify, did you call back the person who called you, or did you verify that the number was the sheriff's office by using an independent source? In other words, where did you get the number you called from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I googled the number from where I got the call from. it was registered with the sheriffs office, I was not able to find the sargent that called me as his name did not come up in the directory.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

The reason I am asking this is that this sounds like a very popular scam, and what this so-called father is trying to do is to blackmail you. I find it very difficult to believe that a police sergeant would countenance blackmail. And why on earth should you have to pay for his daughter's wrecked car?

This seems like a sextortion fraud. Here's how that works:

Unscrupulous people hover around on chat rooms and dating sites, and they lure in their victims by assuring them that they are of age but then trying to engage them in sexual chat and/or pictures. Then, at some point later, the target of the scam gets a phone call from a supposedly angry authority figure. But what that so called authority figure wants is money or he claims he'll prosecute.

That's blackmail, of course, and one should never give into that.

You did nothing wrong. There is nothing unlawful about having a relationship with a minor so long as you are not having sex. If you have proof that she said she was 18 at first and proof that you repeatedly told her you had no sexual interest in her at all, you did nothing unlawful.

You should have nothing further to do with this girl and her so called father. You should find yourself a local criminal lawyer, just to be on the safe side. You should not be talking to the police but the lawyer can determine whether the sergeant is for real and actually made contact with you. In that way you won't incriminate yourself further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I no longer have the texts that we exchanged, I deleted everything hat had to do with that number, but the "Father claims he has them" and in there I clearly states that I do not want to have sex with her at all, but I'm ok going with her to the movies. I'm 27, and thought nothing wrong would happen if I went to the movies.also he claims I should pay for the car since she whreck the car trying to meet me. The sargent stated the following:This is sargent Adam, from browards shreffirs office. We hace a complain here involving a minor, no chanrges have been filed yet, but if we our hands on that little's girls phone, then we will. If you can contact the family and try to solve among yourselves, otherwise we would have to bring you in. Have a good day and good luck you.The number is(###) ###-####
When I googled that number, it does come up as the browards sheriffs office which is why I got scared, I know I didn't do anything wrong, as I clearly stated that I had no intention to have sex with her, but I was ok with going to the movies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also told him, yeah Ill take care of the car if you stop. He told me he does not have an estimate yet, but that the estimate was around 3k...Told him yeah get a estimate and call me back. That's when I came and talk to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any questions I can ask him to see if he is for real?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

You need to stop talking to any of these folks and consult with a criminal lawyer. If the police are already really involved, the state can try to go forward against you, even if the family doesn't wish it. Let a lawyer look into what's actually going on here.

I don't see why you have to pay for anything, and I don't see how you could be convicted of a criminal offense. The contents of "that little girl's phone" should prove you did nothing wrong.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a name and address for this girl and has it checked out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went ahead and paid to get the information from that phone number, and the number is ***** from FL but actually from Columbus GA.and I have the name of the person whose phone number is ***** too. The girl gave me a name and last name which does not match the last name of the number's owner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way these people can call and show a different number in the caller ID?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Yes, which is why I believe this may be is a sextortion scam. There are applications which make it look as if you've gotten a call from a specific number but in fact, the real number of the caller is being disguised.

I think you should consult with a lawyer just in case. If someone is going to lie to go to the police and get $3,000, who knows what they are capable of saying that you've done. But this smells very badly and you shouldn't speak to anyone further or pay any money at all unless/until a local lawyer checks this out for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.