How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10260
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you have had a lawyer create a will years ago and need to

Customer Question

If you have had a lawyer create a will years ago and need to make changes due to changes in your life, can you cross out and type up the changes and and have it notarized again yourself?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately no; that would void the will.

One can prepare a codicil to the will. This has the same requirements as the original will;

i.e 2 witnesses; it is preferred to get it notarized so it is a self proving will (otherwise the witnesses need to be tracked down to verify the will).

The codicil refers to the original will, and makes the desired changes - so it leaves all other provisions of the original will in place.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully you have been able to consult with an attorney to assist with drafting a codicil; this is much cheaper than having an entire will prepared.

Thank you for using JA!