How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2014 VW Diesel vehicle. This car had no insurance

Customer Question

I have a 2014 VW Diesel vehicle. This car had no insurance on it at the time. A Semi Truck (JML Logistics) did a hit and run on the vehicle. There were witnesses. He hit 3 cars. However, my got the worse of the hit. I have the Police report, I have the Truck Plate and VIN number. I was in contact with the gentleman's wife for a while but suddenly she stopped talking with me. I want to know can I sue. My vehicle is completely damage, I do not have insurance and the driver is denying this. I owe 24K on this vehicle and now it's sitting there in NJ. The accident happened in May 11, 2016. (###) ###-####is my number. email address is***@******.***. I'm serious about this. I owe a lot of money on this vehicle. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The short answer is yes, you can sue, even if you do not have insurance. The longer answer is that this man was negligent. He had a duty not to hit your vehicle, he breached that duty, the breach caused harm and you have damages. Those are the factors you will have to prove in order to prevail in a law suit against him...but you do have that ability and should proceed after giving him legal notice.

You can give legal notice of your intent to sue unless he pays for the damage via a certified letter with a return receipt in which you state who you are, your claim and the approximate amount of damage to the vehicle. Tell him he has 5 business days from the postmark to acknowledge he will pay or file on his insurance. Tell him if he does not, you will file suit shortly thereafter.

If he does not respond in the affirmative, you need to file suit.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings bar on your end so I can receive credit for my response from the site.

Thank you and best wishes!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions or concerns. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Best!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in one last time to make sure you are good to go. Let me know if you need anything. Thanks