How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13509
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I bring stock broker case to small claim? If yes, can I

Customer Question

Can I bring stock broker case to small claim? If yes, can I demand punitive damage? The broker charged higher commission as promised. They forced me close position by saying I have negative net liquidation value which is not true. At the same time, they increased margin requirement about 9 times higher which essentially forced me closed all positions.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

While you could sue in small claims, the maximum amount you could sue for is $10,000 plus costs. So if your damages are more then that, you'd want to file in a different court. You cannot request punitive damages in small claims court, unfortunately.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Oitherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you.

Related Legal Questions