How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33442
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My car was stolen in FRANKLIN COUNTY PA. It was found the

Customer Question

My car was stolen in FRANKLIN COUNTY PA. It was found the next day and the thief was caught. Yesterday at his preliminary hearing he decided to take a deal offered by the prosecution that included $6,200 in restitution for damage the thief did to the car. Restitution does not sound like it is really collectable in this county SO I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD ALSO GET A JUDGEMENT AGAINST THE GUY. I believe that a judgement would give me more ability to get the restitution paid, like I could garnish wages and put liens on his property etc...My question is "can i file a judgement against the defendant and let the court first do what they can do to get the restitution paid and then I get try to get satisfaction from the judgement?"
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Yes, you can file suit for the damages in civil court. Once you get your judgment then you can garnish the defendant's wages and accounts and attach their personal property, as well. You will likely need to credit any payments actually received from the restitution order against the civil judgment.

If your claim does not exceed $12,000 you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know this to be a fact in PA? Or are you just speaking in general terms? Does a defendant have to provide the Court's restitution people/department with income and asset information and can I get a copy of it to help me collect?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is true in Pennsylvania. The restitution order is not the same as a civil judgment. The restitution will likely be tied to the successful completion of his sentence.

The defendant will not have to provide such information to the court, as the court will not take action to collect. The burden is on the defendant to make his payment so as to successfully comply with the sentence.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Related Legal Questions