Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I bought a car a week ago but no longer want it. what can i

Customer Question

i bought a car a week ago but no longer want it. what can i do?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: ok
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Where did you purchase this vehicle? Was this a new car or a used car? Did you purchase from dealer or from private party? Is there anything wrong with the car, did it break down? In what state did this occur in? Please advise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a new car bought in maryland from mazda dealer tried moving it twice n steering locked up on me this morning

Did you contact the dealer about repairs, or you just want to return it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wanna trade it in for something else where

I am sorry but you cannot return a vehicle once you rode it off the lot. Only one state in the US permits such practice, and only if you purchase a special insurance policy, and you do it within the first 48 hours. There is a myth that once a car is purchased, it can be taken back--that is false. Only if there are defects and issues that must be repaired by dealer under warranty can the car be returned, and even then after repairs by dealer are attempted and fail to repair the underlying defect after a certain amount of attempts as per state Lemon Law claims. I do apologize but trading it in for full value at this point is not possible, even if you changed your mind.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im stuck with it then? ;(

I am afraid so, once you drive the vehicle off the lot, and the car is otherwise as advertised, the car is yours. I am sorry!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.