How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served papers old medical bill. The papers say I have

Customer Question

I was served papers for an old medical bill. The papers say I have to answer back to the 11th Judicial Court in Montana. Yes, the bill is mine ($1300.), but I am on SS Disability and can barely pay my rent right now let alone pay this bill. I don't need a judgment against me right now as I am trying to rebuild my credit. Should I file a motion for uncontested hearing? OR call the attorney representing the plaintiff and try to work with them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. If you are going to admit that you owe the money, I suggest you can contact the attorney and try to negotiate a lower amount. Anything you agree upon, then put in writing. In the meantime, you also will want to file your Answer with the courts in case something happens in the negotiation communication you don't want to be caught in default of not filing an answer. And yes also the Motion for the Uncontested Hearing.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.