Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My daughter worked at a movie theatre collecting . The

Customer Question
My daughter worked at a...
My daughter worked at a movie theatre collecting for charity. The shifts you received were based on your charity donations you brought in. She swapped out already ripped tickets from previous customers to customers paying cash and she put the cash into the charity bucket. A coworker saw her do it and told a manager. Loss prevention was called and they threatened to prosecute if she didn't pay restituion back to the movie company. They said even though her intentions were noble to help charity, it was still stealing from the company. She is in suspension pending human resource decision if she keeps her job. Is this fair?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2016
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

It is not unfair to make her reimburse any funds she wrongfully took from the employer, despite her charitable motivations. She is lucky they did not call the police. Threatening to call the police unless she repaid what she wrongfully took is not illegal. If the employer asked for any more than what she took, that could be seen as extortion, but it seems like the employer is not being unreasonable or unfair.

I am sorry this is probably not the answer you had hoped for, but no court in the US is going to excuse a theft just because the theft was committed for a noble cause. It would be unfair to you, and unprofessional of me, not to provide my honest opinion based on over 30 years as an attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your honesty. I just wasn't sure if how it was handled was correct or not.

They could have been much more harsh.

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer