How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 100% disabled and am a shut in. What kind of power of

Customer Question

I am 100% disabled and am a shut in. What kind of power of attorney do I need to allow my Sister/Caregiver to file court papers and represent me in small claims court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum.

My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Unfortunately, a power of attorney does not actually permit someone to represent another person in court. The only person that can appear for someone else in court is a licensed attorney.

While small claims does allow another person to "assist" a litigant (so for example if you have difficulty speaking English, are hard of hearing, or simply need help organizing your papers), you can have another person come to the small claims hearing and assist you.

But to actually appear in court on your behalf and represent you, you need a licensed attorney.