Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is there any recourse that I can take after purchasing a

Customer Question
used car that was sold...
Is there any recourse that I can take after purchasing a used car that was sold as is, I've owned it 5 working days, and it needs thousands of dollars of repairs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It's unlikely, but if you tell me what state it is in I will look and see if there are any exceptions that may apply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Illinois

Unfortunately, Illinois is like most of the other states and "as is" means just that, however it is when you but it is what you get.

The only exception to the "As Is" situation is if the seller made some type of specific, affirmative misrepresentation. For example, if he told you the car "ran good" or was "in good shape" that is not specific enough to be an issue. If, instead, he told you "it has never been in a wreck" when in fact it had, or that "I just got the engine rebuilt last year" when actually the engine had never been rebuilt and the engine had 150k miles on it then it would be actionable.

The amount of work it needs isn't the issue, it is whether there was a specific misrepresentation made to you that induced you to buy the vehicle.

I am truly sorry to give you what I am sure is bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and very unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a completely honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. Please remember to rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not upon whether the answer was good news or bad news since I have no control over whether the law is in your favor or not.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney