Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I live and work in New York City. I left my vehicle at a

Customer Question

I live and work in New York City. I left my vehicle at a parking garage that is paid for each month through my company, which deducts the charge from my paycheck biweekly. I left the car in the garage on September 7th, 2014, and have not returned to pick it up until today, June 13, 2016. The parking garage attendant told me they do not have my vehicle and no record of it exists in their computer system, despite me providing the claim check which shows they have possession of my vehicle with the license plate information listed. The attendant, then the manager who I spoke to by phone, said there was nothing they could tell me and kept asking why I left the car in 2014 and haven't returned.
They offered no solution other than returning to the garage tomorrow morning to speak with another manager. I am frustrated because I am not sure how to handle this. Yes, I left the car there for 1 year and 9 months because I had no need to drive it and did not want to park it on the street. I don't feel that I've done anything wrong, but also don't know if the manager will provide any solution tomorrow or continue admonishing me like the rest of the staff did tonight. I also do not know if this would be considered as stolen and I would need to file a police report.
I'd like to know what options I should consider and what I should say to the garage manager. It seems like this would be considered a bailment situation since the garage provided a claim check with my vehicles information, and they retained custody of the key within their garage (which they also did not have).
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Can you answer if a parking garage that parks and retains the keys to customer vehicles is liable if a vehicle goes missing?Thank you.

Thank you for your follow up.

Is there written agreement for the monthly parking space rental?

Was the vehicle fully insured and properly registered while it was parked in the garage?

Please provide me with more details about the situation, so I can better understand.