How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was having someone live with me and they were trying to

Customer Question

I was having someone live with me and they were trying to get money from my credit accounts, cashed checks in my name and also got into my emails and forged a letter in my doctors name and emailed it to my plastic surgeon when I had to postpone a surgery during a family deth. They were trying to get money back from that surgeon to have fir themselves. I am now scared to death because my doctor has that letter in their possession and I'm afraid it may come down to me being blamed for making a false letter with her name typed on it. What can I do? What can happen to me if they think it's me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

You need to report this person to the local police or sheriff office and attempt to have them prosecuted. You also need to report this person to the North Carolina Attorney General Office. They have an office in place to assist victims of identity theft - which this clearly is a form of that you are dealing with now.

You need to immediately (or as soon as possible) after filing charges go to the physician office and explain the situation and also tell them that you have pressed charges on the individual. Tell them that you will be happy to fill out any sworn statement necessary or that they may require to express that this was not you that made this letter of request.

You obviously also need to go to your bank and explain the situation to them. You can fill out affidavits as to the checks that were forged and they will credit back your account.

Once this is all done, you have nothing else to worry about in the present time.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) using the ratings bar on your end so that I can receive credit from the site for my response.

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks