How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Blake Your Own Question
Blake, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 44
Experience:  Counsel at Warningstar Intelligence
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Blake is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question?, I work company, I worked there year's,

Customer Question

I have a question?, I work for this company, I worked there for 37 year's, still there and for like the last 25 year's I've been on piecework wages, last year I made 58,200 there, now there going to take my piecework away from me, they offered me 48,000, can they do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Blake replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a practicing attorney in New York City and an expert in employment law. I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this. I will do my best to inform you about the issue but, unfortunately, the bot***** *****ne is that you cannot stop them from changing the terms of your employment unless you have a contract in place that states otherwise, or unless the real reason for their action is discriminatory.

Pennsylvania is a an "at-will" employment state. This means that employers can end their relationship with employees at any time and for any reason, so long as their real reason for their actions is not illegal (i.e. discrimination based on race, gender, age, or disability).

So, unless you have a contract in which your employer has promised to employ you for a certain amount of time at certain wage, they can change or discontinue the terms of their relationship with you at any time.

In this case, they are choosing to terminate their old employment terms with you (the piecework wages) and essentially offer you a new job - which is the same position you had for 37 years but with different pay.

If you think the real reason that they are taking this action is because of discrimination against you based upon your age, race, gender, or disability, then you might have grounds to sue and you should find a local lawyer in your area to represent you as soon as possible.

However, if you have no contract that prevents them from changing your employment relationship, and if you don't believe that the real reason they are doing this is discriminatory, then you have no legal right to prevent them from taking this action.

Of course, you can always try to negotiate with your employer for more pay if you feel they are being unfair. Someone with 37 year of experience is a very valuable asset, and you can always walk away from this employer and find a different company that will pay you what you deserve.

Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to assist you with this. I know it is very frustrating when an employer does not treat you the way you deserve to be treated, and I sincerely ***** ***** the best with this situation.


If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the “accept” button now so that I may be given credit for the service that I provided.

There is no additional cost to press the “accept” button, but if you do not press it, then the website will keep all the money you have already been charged and will not share it with me.

Once you press “accept” and leave a positive rating to this answer, this question will lock open and you will be able to return here at any time to ask me follow-up questions, which I will be happy to answer.

If there is any way I can provide better service, please let me know and I will be happy to help.