How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is low income and black and cannot afford a

Customer Question

my girlfriend is low income and black and cannot afford a lawyer, but she has been sued for libel by a very wealthy fellow student at our college
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: it is a clear case of intimidation
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no that is the problem
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: we need to find pro bono help
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Has she gone to the local legal aid office yet or called the state bar to seek to obtain a pro bono attorney?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
legal aid told her they don't do litigation. i have read online that it is generally difficult to get pro bono help with defamation cases as it is, but i think this is a situation in which there is not merely defamation but an injustice being done to her and so perhaps pro bono lawyers may be more responsive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can explain the situation.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately though, nobody from this site can represent any customer of this site, it is forbidden by state law. Has she called the state bar about pro bono assistance? Pro bono help is tough to get in most situations as there are more people needing free legal help than there are lawyers who provide that service.
Also, if there is a local law school nearby, getting assistance there could be possible, even if it is assistance from their law clinic or maybe a 3rd year student who may be willing to help her out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my girlfriend, jane doe, is being sued by a wealthy white male student at our school, john doe for over 25,000 dollars. this is the background. in our first semester in school, john doe underwent an investigation by administration on suspicion that he had raped someone from a neighboring school. john got a very influential rape defense lawyer to defend him, and from what i understand, the administration backed off of the investigation. the only sanction he received was being restricted to eating at only our college's dining halls, as opposed to dining halls at other schools. the girl later switched out or dropped out, i don't know which, and subsequently even this mild sanction was lifted. i was alerted of all this from a friend who knew the situation closely, who had told me that it was not merely a suspicion of rape but that he had indeed done it. my girlfriend, jane doe, was there in this conversation. so at that point in time we both had heard the allegation that he had raped someone, and since there was an official investigation into the matter there was clearly some doubt about what had happened. either way, months later, my girlfriend went to a party without me. she was drunk, and saw john doe entering the party. she became frightened because she had heard these allegations (which had some merit) she asked another student to ask him to leave the party. there was an argument, john doe asked why he had to leave, and this is where it gets a bit murky - i wasn't there so i can't say for sure. but either way, because she was drunk, i believe that jane doe repeated the accusation that he was a rapist in front of some other people. they got into a yelling match and my girlfriend came home. days later there was a summons and a case for 25,000. every lawyer friend and such i've talked to says this is an intimidation case, plain and simple, because from what i have read defamation must fill two conditions. 1) the person accused of defamation cannot have any reason to believe that the accusation was true, and must be making it up; and 2) the person accused of defamation had to have a malicious intent to slander and ruin the reputation of the other. both are quite easily disproven. still, it is a very expensive process that she cannot afford, even if she ultimately wins. what can she do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we will investigate law schools and clinics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you make recommendations at all for private lawyers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not satisfied with my service if you have truly left. i want my money back.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I did not leave, but the experts here are not employees of the site and are working with multiple customer at the same time who all deserve the same time as you do. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The elements he must prove to succeed at a defamation case are:
1. That the Defendant made one or more of the statement(s) to third person;
2. That the third person reasonably understood that the statement(s) were about plaintiff;
3. That the third parties reasonably understood the statement(s) to mean that [insert ground(s) for defamation per se, for example, “plaintff had committed a crime”]];
4. That Defendant failed to use reasonable care to determine the truth or falsity of the statement(s).
So, this is what makes a case tough and expensive, proving whether or not the defendant used reasonable care to make sure what they were saying was true or not.
We cannot make personal referrals. If you need a local attorney you would need to use the same sites used by other attorneys, or