How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Unable to acquire passport without original birth

Customer Question

Unable to acquire passport without original birth certificate.I am 64 years and have received copies of my birth certificate which are not accepted by the U.S.passport agency.I was born in Ponce,P.R. but have no relatives that could help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

The Puerto Rican Government (in association with the U.S. Government) has been addressing widespread fraud with regard to individuals using PR birth certificates as a way to facilitate identity fraud).

This has led to complications for citizens such as yourself in getting their passports.

(This is discussed in detail here:

The resolution is straightforward, it will cost you a small fee and take a short amount of time. You will have to purchase a new birth certificate (ordered through "VitalCheck" (the provider that acts as the clearinghouse for records such as birth certificates for Puerto Rico (as well as many other jurisdictions) - again, this information is confirmed in the PR.Gov website above, and you can find the VitalCheck site here:

Make sure when you order the certificate that you order a "Certified" birth certificate.