Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree, CFP and MBA with 30 years experience in estate and income tax law
1929974

I have a client who does not want to pay rendered. They owe

Customer Question

I have a client who does not want to pay for services rendered. They owe $22000 what can I do.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi Vanessa -

...

You need to see a TX licensed attorney about getting a creditor judgment.

...

One of the reasons for this is that TX's version of the FDCPA extends further then even the federal law and really puts private collectors at a disadvantage

...

See this:

...

The Texas Debt Collection Act is the state’s version of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Both aim to protect consumers against unfair collection practices. The Texas act covers the same areas as the FDCPA; they both prohibit debt collectors from using fraudulent, abusive or misleading tactics during attempts to collect debts.

...

However, the federal law applies only to debt collectors working for designated debt collection agencies and professional lawyers hired for debt collection purposes. The Texas law reaches a broader scope. It applies to anyone attempting to collect a consumer debt, regardless of his or her affiliations.

...

So dotting your i's and crossing your t's is important.

...

But the first step to being sure you HAVE a right to collect is to get a TX court to give you a creditor judgment.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I have no association with this firm, but it's important to pick the RIGHT attorney for these things ... LOTS of lawyers will start the process without really understanding the difficulty of the process (in Texas).

...

You want the RIGHT kind of practice... It appears that this firm is in that category:

...

http://texascollectionlaw.blogspot.com/2011/11/collecting-judgments-in-texas-is-it.html

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice on three continents, since 1986