Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What should I do to protect myself if someone threats me

Customer Question
online through Fiverr.com. This guys...
what should I do to protect myself if someone threats me online through Fiverr.com. This guys is doing fraud with Google Adsense campaigns and when I realized that I told him that I did not want to do business with him but he still did it and now he wants his money and he is he is big online and that I better pay him if not I am going to regret it.
Please need an advice on what to do next. I already contacted Fiverr and Google Adsense, Fiverr replied to me saying that they were going to investigate but I have not heard from Google Adsense. I am afraid they close my account for what this guy did.
Please advice me.
Thanks,
Angelo
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
6/10/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Your other options, other than hiring a lawyer, is to contact the FTC at FTC.gov, your state's Attorney General, and a new federal agency called IC3 (at ic3.gov). IC3 is composed of other agencies and focuses entirely on internet fraud and crimes.

You can hire a lawyer and they can send letters threatening the person and also contact Google and Fiverr on your behalf. I'm not sure it is quite time for a lawyer but if you turn i over to them you don't have to mess with it any more.

The lawyer can also get an injunction against this person that prevents him from taking any offensive action against you. Injunctions are extremely complex and you definitely need a lawyer to help you if you go that route.

The steps to an injunction are:

1) An Application for TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) is filed along with supporting evidence such as affidavits. Usually the Application for Injunction is made at the same time. The TRO is a temporary measure and is not absolutely required before you get an injunction.
2) An Ex Parte (without the other side present) Hearing is conducted and the judge either issues the TRO or denies it. If the TRO is issued the judge orders a bond set in a sufficient amount to compensate the other side for any damages accumulated while the TRO is in place if the applicant fails to prove their right to an injunction.
3) A hearing on the TRO is set.
4) The TRO and notice of Hearing is served on the defendant.
5) The defendant should immediately begin following the judge's orders.
6) The TRO hearing is held and each side has an opportunity to present evidence and question witnesses.
7) The judge makes the decision on whether to convert the TRO to a Temporary Injunction or not.
8) If the TRO is converted to a Temporary Injunction then the judge sets a new bond to be in place.
9) Discovery is conducted by both sides.
10) A request for hearing date is made on the matter of converting the Temporary Injunction into a Permanent Injunction.
11) The hearing/trial is held on the Permanent Injunction and the judge issues a ruling.

These are what are known as extraordinary remedies and the procedural rules for these as well as the case law are EXTREMELY specific and difficult. If ANY mistakes are made the judge has no choice but to deny the relief and will not likely reconsider it in the future.

Just as an example, getting injunctive relief, both temporary and permanent, requires that evidence be offered of:
1) An immediate need,
2) Which, if not granted, will result in irreparable harm,
3) With no adequate remedy at law, and
4) (on temporary order) The person requesting the injunction is likely to succeed at a full trial on the merits.

If evidence is not offered to meet these four requirements, in a manner that the judge knows this is what the evidence shows, then the petition will be denied.

There are more requirements than this depending on the exact facts of the case but it is very, very easy to mess up one of these and end up having to pay damages to the other side just because your paperwork wasn't done properly.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney