How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29822
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received 3 citations in Tarrant County, Texas. I missed

Customer Question

i received 3 citations in Tarrant County, Texas. I missed the due date and got a letter saying i had a warrant. So I hired a lawyer, met with him, paid a down payment, and the lawyer said he would take care of it, and wait to here from him. Arlington PD showed up at my door during the Tarrant County Warrant Roundup because my lawyer did not handle the warrants. I called him and got no answer or returned call. I was forced to pay or go to jail. I called my employer who paid for me. weeks, months went by. I have to pay surcharges, and was disqualified from the parent taught drivers ed program, and course was complet except the actual driving test. Ive paid out well over 3000.00 dollars. I decided to report the lawyer and found out he was deceased. Is there anything that i can do, to stop paying and get reinstated in the drivers ed program?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Was the lawyer part of a larger firm or was he working alone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To the best of my knowledge he was working alone. His death was unexpected and apparently he did not make arrangements for a situation like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago. ***** ***** SMITH
Bar Card Number: 18613700
TX License Date: 11/03/1989
Primary Practice Location: Arlington , Texas
Practice Areas: Creditor-Debtor, Criminal, Family, Wills-Trusts-Probate, Juvenile
Statutory Profile Last Certified On: 04/25/2014PRACTICE INFORMATION:
Firm: None Reported By Attorney
Firm Size: Solo
Occupation: Private Law Practice
Practice Areas: Creditor-Debtor, Criminal, Family, Wills-Trusts-Probate, Juvenile
Services Provided: None Reported By Attorney
Foreign Language Assistance: FrenchLAW SCHOOL:
School: University Of Texas
Degree earned: Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor (J.D.)
Graduation Date: 05/1988
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That's too bad.

Because your lawyer died while working on your case (and you had no way of knowing), you should be able to get the warrants recalled. That can be done by scheduling a hearing, going to court, and explaining what happened. The judge should understand and pull the warrant back. At the same time, it's possible to ask the judge to reinstate you to the program, since again. It may be easier to do that if you have a local attorney assist you.

When a lawyer dies, they are supposed to have some provisions in their will for someone else to take over their practice - or at least contact their clients, wrap up the business, and distribute clients funds that weren't yet earned. Contact the county probate court to see if there's a been a case opened to settle the lawyer's estate. If so, you can contact the executor and ask for your money back. You can also file a claim against the estate to get that money. If there's no case, you can file a lawsuit against the Estate of [Lawyer's Name]. That would be served either on the person serving as executor or any family members you can find.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?