How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2130
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son ran away he was then referred to a counseling program

Customer Question

My son ran away he was then referred to a counseling program by the juvenile courts. My son then told them he thought about suicide at night and it made the social worker insist we take him to the emergency room. Well after being assured he wasn't going to do harm to himself my son then told me the next day that those was not his exact words and that the caseworker twisted his words around. The worker then made an appointment with a psychologist. I said my son did not need the help and I was going to take him to the doctor and the doctor would determine if he need a extra help and the psychologist would determine if there is a problem. Then I get a call from another social worker demanding I come in and sign papers and have my son speak with a mentor. I was told later that day by my son the real reason he ran away and was stress from relocating and dealing with racism and his failing grades. I told the social worker all these things and that I did not appreciate being given a different worker without being told and that my son told me what was really wrong and that I contacted the principal and talked to her about it. The worker was very rude and said my son need their help and if I don't cooperate they will refer his case back to juvenile court. I said fine do that. Juvenile court then sent a letter saying there was no need for a hearing but I was being warranted to seek mental help for my child. Now I am getting letters from the social services saying they want me to meet with them in their office for assessment and if I don't comply they will get the authorities and I will be in a lot of trouble with the law. What is my rights as far as meeting with social services and what rights do they have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your son's situation. I hope he is doing better. I will tell you that they have a lot of latitude and are given a lot of preference by the courts. You should cooperate with them to a degree but you are not obligated to do anything they prescribe without a court order. I would suggest having an attorney accompany you or review any documentation they are asking you to sign.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating of our assistance is appreciated.